Friday, July 03, 2015

Some Light Reading....

It's late tonight in NY, but I'm trying to keep us on a schedule that won't be too hard to transition back to California time. 

I had such a lovely evening-I ate dinner with a family whose 21 year old daughter has a rare cancer. She is doing a clinical trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering and seems to be doing very well. 

Since I research things...(it's just what I do!), I thought some of you might be interested in this article on intra arterial chemotherapy for the treatment of retinoblastoma. This particular article is written by Elijah's current doctor.


Also, here is a short video that shows the facility and doctor where Elijah is being treated:


Honestly, it is such a privilege to have access to such amazing care.  I don't think I posted these statics earlier, but Elijah's doctor told us that last year (not ten years ago!), the worldwide survival rate for retinoblastoma was 50%. Much of that is due to not having access to medical care! Last year, the survival rate for retinoblastoma cases at MSKCC was 99%.

There are no guarantees. We know that. But we are humbled and feel so thankful to be working with some of the leading experts in the world for this cancer. On both sides of the country, we have really received excellent care and we are thankful!!

No comments: