Monday, July 06, 2015

Discharged!!!

My sweet baby boy. Elijah generally wakes up from anesthesia pretty mad. He tosses his head back and forth, is restless, and seems uncomfortable. I'm thankful that I've seen this enough times to consider it "normal."
I was *anxious* to nurse him, but he just wasn't having it.  The big thing was that we needed to keep him still and his right leg straight because of the puncture to the femoral artery.
The first couple of hours were pretty difficult. I could calm him for awhile by laying in the bed with him, singing to him. He would doze in and out of restless sleep. I would try to nurse but that just made him angry.
Finally, I realized that nursing laying down just really isn't our thing.  I set up a chair with no arms, put a pillow on my lap and brought him to lay flat on my lap. He nursed right away! Just on one side, but then he was out like a light for about 40 min. Then we repeated that cycle until we hit the 5 hour mark.
Elijah is clear to fly home with me tomorrow.  Then we will be on lockdown for a bit. We will go to CHLA next week to have a blood draw, check white cell counts, and see his oncologist.
If this doesn't scare you: "if he throws up or pees on you, you need to wash your hands right away because the chemo meds will be in there." Wow! Okay.
Thank you to all who were so faithful in praying for my little guy today. We are so very thankful that this treatment exists, otherwise my baby would be doing systemic chemo right now.
The doctors and staff have been fantastic and have all been so encouraging that we really have the best doctors available taking care of Elijah.
Of course, we remind ourselves that it is the Great Physician who is caring for Elijah and his hand is the best place to be. 
I can't wait to get home and see all my people!!!

No comments: