Friday, November 30, 2007

New Things in Our Life

When I went to San Francisco, I attended the Green Festival. It is essentially a gathering of companies who support sustainability. I learned a lot, and saw some great companies represented. I was a little saddened, that using our resources wisely is not necessarily something that the Church, or Christians, are particularly known for. However, I recognized a LOT of areas in my own life that could use some improvement. And, sometimes the change is slow...I have 5 reusable grocery bags that I have forgotten to take with me to the store TWICE. So, yeah...but, for me, it is not about being "green" or "eco-friendly" or hippie, or any of that. It is about trying to be faithful. Interestingly enough, the kids' Bible verse for yesterday came out of this passage of Scripture, God's gentle reminder to me again!:
"If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people's things, why should you be trusted with things of your own?" Luke 16:10-12

These are not all things even from the Festival, but just new things in our life.
G Diapers-They are a cotton outer pant, with a flushable insert. They take 50 days (instead of 500 years) to decompose, and if it's just wet, you could even compost them.

Quinoa- pronounced "keen-wa". It is often called a grain, although I believe it is really a seed. However, it has more protein than any of the grains, and it cooks just like rice. Here's Lisa's Quinoa recipe:
1 cup cooked quinoa (bring 1 3/4 cup chicken broth to a boil, add quinoa, cook 10-15 min.)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1-2 cups cooked black beans
1 red bell pepper (seeded, chopped, sauted in a litte olive oil)
1/2 a jalapeno (also seeded, chopped, and sauted with the bell pepper)
Season with salt, pepper, and some chili powder and cumin!
The bulk bins at Lassen's
Now as a whole, Lassen's is really expensive. So I don't normally shop there. But the bulk bins are great!! You can get organic quinoa for less than a $1.00 a lb., as well as organic rolled oats for like $0.60 a lb. You can get black beans, split peas, split yellow peas all for under $1.00 a lb. And they have a variety of granolas for a reasonable price also. You just have to watch because many of them have a lot of sugar!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like how fast quinoa cooks- much quicker than brown rice! I like it plain or in a veggie soup. I usually saute some garlic, onions, green pepper, carrots and celery, add salt and a little cumin then some chopped potatoes. Cover with chicken stock and simmer until soft. Then just add some cooked quinoa and corn- super easy and it tastes great! Um, but you didn't ask for recipes... I will run away now!

ATSmith said...

Jennifer -- "you just" is a lot of work!! Hahaha. Lisa - thanks for all the info. You really are amazing : ) Baby steps, right?