Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tea and Sympathy...

"I know what it's like."
It is hard sometimes, to watch your kids as they begin to realize just how "different" they are. I don't think the boys notice it quite as much. But, all of a sudden, they start noticing that we don't read the same books, or watch the same shows and movies , that we don't go to the same school, that we don't have the same toys, that we don't eat the same food.... the list goes on and on.
And the best I really have to offer our kids is that I know what it's like. I know what it is like to not have the same things, to not read the same books, to not eat the same food, to do things differently than others around me.... Really, I know what it is like to be lonely. Sometimes, it is really hard to feel alone in certain things. And yet, we must be faithful to what we believe the Lord is asking of us as a family. He hasn't asked us to look just like any other family. But He has asked us to be faithful as the Hester family, to what He shows us and asks of us. And so, when I am having a hard time feeling lonely and different, like my kids do sometimes, I need some tea and sympathy as well. And it has been given:

"Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:14-16

It is so good, and so beneficial to my heart this morning, that it is worth repeating in the NLT:

"That is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it." Hebrews 4:14-16

1 comment:

Provl8dy said...

Beautiful. Reminds me also that the tea cups the Lord has given us are not the same. This has been a running theme in my life this month. Extend grace to all cup bearers and focus on the details of my own cup.