Monday, August 27, 2007

Self-Control, or Lack-There-Of

Okay, Emma got up two nights in a row to go potty at about 11pm. Normally, this would not be much of a problem, however, I had gone to bed only a half hour or hour before. I was so startled when I awoke (and had so much on my mind) that I couldn't get back to sleep for many, many long hours.
It just so happens that I never did read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (I do not know how to underline!!), so I had checked it out from the library. After two nights of not sleeping (plus, this is Ben's night shift week, so my husband is sort of non-existent) the wise thing to do would have been to go to bed early last night, and get a good night's rest. I did not make the best choice. But I did finish my book about midnight, and although it did produce some amount of satisfaction, I am not sure it was enough to inspire a cheery disposition at 6am this morning. But, we made it, we had a good day, and here it is 7pm....and I am feeling pretty sleepy. =)
I am hoping to now get Emma from the library, but perhaps I should work a bit on self-control before I dig myself deeper into the hole of exhaustion. I have decided upon my discipline for my offense...I must go to bed early!!!

5 comments:

Christine H. said...

I do that a lot! I "wake up" after 10 p.m., and so if I'm not in bed by 10:30 (which I have to force myself to do) then I'll stay up until 1 a.m. and do ANYTHING...scrapbook, blog, watch a movie and (my favorite) organize an entire closet from start to finish, all the while trying to be very quiet so as to not wake up my family. BUT, the next morning at 7 a.m. I PAY FOR IT DEARLY!!! So, why do I do it? I am a night person; my creative juices flow at night. And everyone, including my hubby, is in bed and I have the house to myself. He he he!!!

Okay, so this could have been a blog in itself! Good night (just kidding, it's only 9:15).

ATSmith said...

There is no other way to read Austin than until the wee hours of the morning ... telling yourself all along, "Only one more page." And the only way to actually get a book read (with little ones) is to read until the wee hours of the morning. So, I think you are on the right track ... but you might have to put a few days between Austin's books. Have you read Stepping Heavenward? If you like Austin you will love this fabulous book. I have a copy if you want it.

hestermom said...

Yes, Amber, I would love to borrow it, it sounds intriging. Just give me a couple of days to recover. Then, maybe we could even meet up at the park one day?? I know Camp Comfort is great, and (Christine, this is for you too) but Sarazotti Park at about 8am is empty, cool (temperature) and free. So, let me know if you gals want to meet up...we could maybe play a while, then come back to my house for a snack??

Anonymous said...

Mansfield Park is really good too. Fanny is one of Austen's best characters, I think. But I LOVE P&P.

heidibelle said...

Oh yes, the self-control issue with books. Jeff has mostly banned books for pleasure from my presence. Partly because there are book I 'have' to read for our mission. (They do not keep me up to midnight, but put me to sleep by 9:30. But when I read a good book, my family doesn't eat on time or see me awake in the day, unless I am still stuck in the book. But oh it is fun!!! :)