Friday, September 14, 2007

A psychotic moment....

I don't know if any of you got those coupons...but I did. They seem harmless enough. I get coupons all the time, and I just throw them away. But for some reason, I kept these. It must have been the larger-than-life pictures of Oreo Sundaes everywhere...beckoning all to come to Baskin Robbins. Now, let me first say that I don't even really like ice cream. And I definitely don't like paying exhorbitant amounts of money for ice cream!! I don't know if it was hormones, the heat, or just a lapse in my normal disciplined judgement, but I just felt in the mood for ice cream all of a sudden. So, we went. The first coupon was buy one sundae get one free, so for two two-scoop sundaes (one for my mom and I to share, and one for Emma and Caleb to share), it cost about $3.59. Not bad, I was thinking. So then, the other night, after Ben's long week of day shifts, we all decided to go for ice cream. AGAIN. Now, on the way I begin thinking, "AAH! Ice cream twice, in one week? What will become of the kids? Did they eat enough of their dinner tonight? Have they had enough nutrition this week to warrant two trips for ice cream?" As if my psychosis was not enough, then images from those commercials about childhood obesity come flying through my brain, until I am completely overwhelmed by the thought that I must be utterly ruining my children. I take a deep breath, we go into the ice cream store, and we get our ice cream. Ben and I share two scoops, and the kids share one scoop. I watch their tongues turn a darker and darker shade of blue, and I hear them delightfully giddy in between bites. You know, I think we are going to be okay. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, if any child of yours ends up obese, they will most certainly be unable to blame you!

Just Jonna said...

Hestermom,
Recently you left a comment on my daughter's blog, Inquiries & Enquiries. I just wanted to thank you for your kind and encouraging words! Her dad and I are really proud of the person she is becoming in Christ, and are so encouraged by comments from people like you. Thought you also might like to know that Kate was homeschooled 3rd-8th grade. =) This is her first year 'back to school'.

Christine H. said...

You think like I do when it comes to sweets. But sometimes we just have to let go and give in (and dig in) and watch the happy looks on the kids' faces, and their blue tongues, to know it was worth it!