Sunday, May 06, 2012

Happy Birthday Emma

Today, you are nine years old. That basically means that I've been doing this whole "mom" gig for a decade. Which is wild, because I still feel brand new at it sometimes.
But, today was one of those days, where it hits you all at once how quickly time is passing. Grandma and I took you to the American Girl Store for lunch. It was our first time ever at the store....but we figured that we don't have too many years left where this will be what is fun and special for you.
We had such a lovely time. I could see on your face how loved, and honored, and special you felt.
It was a very special trip for Grandma and I-we are both so honored to have shared your birthday with you. And even more than that, we are honored to share our lives with you.
One of the "conversation starters" at the table had you describe your personality in one word. Emma described me as generous, and full of surprises! So I described her-friendly and loving.
Clearly, we didn't follow the instructions....but it was lovely nonetheless.
Oh Emma, I love you so much.
But back to our day....your Kit doll got her ears pierced, and we found you some "feather dangly" earrings. Evidently no one thought I would let you wear earrings like that....but alas, maybe I am cooler than people suspect. Or, maybe I am a sucker for how cute you are. :-)
Anyhow. I am honored to love you, and I am so thankful that God gave you to
me. This year, I have many prayers for you, but I more aware than ever of my prayer that I, as your mom, would be faithful to communicate the gospel, and it's beauty and power to transform life as we know it. May you know the grace of Jesus Christ, which has forever washed you and made you completely loved and accepted in God's sight. May you know how lovely you are in God's sight because you are in Christ.
I love you.

No comments: