Thursday, January 12, 2012

Small Sacrifices...

Lately, it has been difficult to find the time to stop and blog about life, because we have been busy living it! =) A good problem to have. But, recently, Ben and I have had some decisions to make-you know, the ones involving when to say "Yes" and when to say "No." These are always difficult, especially given that we have a large family, and well, let's face it, the almond milk and vegetable broth aren't making themselves. ;)
But, specifically, I had an opportunity come up. Now first of all, this opportunity should not be appealing to the average person-but to me, it is. Secondly, it should just be completely off the table for a person in my stage of life, not to mention the commitments we already have, and given that we are about to start hosting and co-leading a Community Group in about a month....
Laugh with me as you see what we've been learning this week:

Confidence is being sure that God will help you do His work, even when people think you can't do it.
"God began doing a good work in you, and I am sure he will continue it until it is finished when Jesus Christ comes again." Phil. 1:6
Resourcefulness is making use of all opportunities to do God's work.
"Look at the new thing I am going to do. It is already happening. Don't you see it? I will make a road in the desert and rivers in the dry land." Isaiah 43:19
Courage is knowing God's power can help you do something hard even when you feel scared.
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7
Creativity means coming up with new ways to reach people and do God's work.
and today's:
Boldness may require doing the unusual.

Ha! Now, the decision is not made for sure or anything. But, the one thing that I really felt the Lord saying to me is that if He is asking me to do something, even something that seems sort of impossible in our current life season, then He will give me everything I need to obey Him. But, it may require some things. It will definitely require a greater accountability of my time before Him-because there is literally, NO time to waste. There's no time to just "watch a show" and veg. (Not that watching a show is bad! I'm just saying....) When you add something to the recipe, it means other things other need to be taken out, or the whole recipe suffers.
But wow! Even the benefits of just seeking the Lord, and hearing His Word, and laughing with joy at how our God never stays in a box!!! He is full of surprises!! I am intrigued, and excited to see what He has planned, because I know it is good. And although I am not being asked to sacrifice anything on the same scale here... I still think Jim Elliot said it best:

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

No comments: