Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Crooked Week...

I had to laugh when I read this today:
"Consider the work of God;
For who can make straight what He has made crooked?
In the day of prosperity be joyful,
But in the day of adversity consider:
Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other,
So that man can find out nothing that will come after him."
Ecclesiastes 7:13-14

Now, I say this lightly, because if I really think about it, I have nothing to complain about. But, it has definitely been one of those weeks... you know, where everything is just... unexpected. And in the midst of it, you almost feel yourself fighting against it...until you suddenly realize, am I just trying to make a crooked thing straight? Because, maybe it was meant to be crooked!!

In a nutshell...
Finances were tight and so was time, so I wasn't able to get the groceries I was planning on. But food seems to be my "comfort" zone, I feel secure knowing there are tons of options. But, we just prayed that God would enable me to be creative with what we had!!!
So, I had to laugh when God not only called me out on my food-comfort issue, but then got a phone call from a friend on Monday asking if it was okay for me to have four extra kiddos for a couple of hours. And I have to say, that not only did God provide, but because I had to be a little more creative than normal, I actually think all the kids ate better than they ever would have!! We had oatmeal for lunch!!!
Then, the washer backed up and overflowed...and Tuesday the plumber was supposed to come between 12-4pm. Ben was working late, so I needed to feed the kids, pack them up, and meet Ben when he got off at 6pm so that I could get to Perspectives (and stop by a good friend's baby shower!!). Well... the plumber came at 4pm!! He, he. I should have guessed that one!
But, thankfully, he fixed the problem with the washer because I was going to need it!!!
Wednesday morning Noah came in and asked if he could watch a movie. I told him, "No, honey, we have other things planned for today."
Then, he threw up all over our bedroom floor!! Needless to say, I reconsidered the movie idea. =) So, I was pretty thankful to have a washer that worked yesterday and today. Today, he still can't keep any food down, and Caleb isn't feeling well either. Ben worked late again Wednesday, and tonight we were supposed to go (just the two of us!) up to the Community Group Leaders potluck...
But...
This week was meant to be crooked. So, we have enjoyed laying low... We haven't needed the usually overwhelming amount of groceries, since we are sort of surviving on toast and bagels. And, things seem to be going much smoother when I stop trying to make the crooked things straight. And instead, I am **learning** to smile at God's graces in the midst of the crooked things.

1 comment:

sarahgrace said...

It seems like we've all been enjoying crooked weeks lately. I just read another friend's blog who has been hit by sickness this last week, and my family has too. But the cool thing is, I always see God working in the details. Like, even though we were sick, he had me be sick last, and on the day that my MIL was here to help. That way, I could take care of my kids, and then she could take care of them while I took care of myself... Hope you are all hanging in there and feeling better!