Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Learning...

I don't know if I have said this before or not, but two of my all-time favorite child training books are: Shepherding a Child's Heart, and Instructing a Child's Heart, both by Tedd Tripp. They are just a fantastic encouragement towards gospel parenting... going after the heart, not just behavior. Anyhow, my dear little Ezra is full of energy and sometimes quite a bit of mischief. I would say about 90% of my child training energy goes toward him right now, which is probably normal considering he is 2 and a half. But, he is also a little more, ahem, energetic (insert CRAZY!!) than the average child, so it requires more energy from me as well.
Well, I had a bittersweet encouragement last week. I found myself in a situation where I knew I had done the wrong thing. The Lord gently convicted me about it, and I had resolved in my heart that I would go to a friend and confess my sin and repent and ask for forgiveness. But I hadn't yet seen her, so there was a couple of days between the conviction and the confession. Those days stunk!! God was so gracious and tender, and I was still able to worship Him, but I felt sick. It was like my bones were rotting. (As a side note here, the confession went very well, and I was received with the utmost grace and mercy!!) But, in those days while I felt so uneasy, it reminded me of what I am doing when I discipline the kids. When they disobey, there is something between us, and between them and God. And after feeling that, I would never want to just leave them in that place, and not love them enough to confront their sin and deal with it quickly!!! I want them to have unhindered, unspoiled, beauty of relationship with their God and with Ben and I. And so, I have to keep on keepin' on. Trusting the Holy Spirit to give me the energy and strength to discipline. =)

I love you, Ezra Lucas.
"He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly."
Proverbs 13:24

No comments: