Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day....



Dear Mom,
     Our lives have been very different. Sometime after I became a mom....well, I think that is when you and I really began to appreciate the differences in each other. I remember the first time that I, as a stay-at-home mom, had to get my kids somewhere and pack them a lunch. It almost crushed me. I remember thinking, "How in the WORLD did my mom get four kids to school with lunches???"
   Our lives may have gone in different directions, but truly, I have learned all the really important things from you:
1. Jesus is worth singing about....rain or shine.  Even in the hardest times.  I'll never forget, grandma's funeral, being in that small room with you....and even though you had just lost the most important person on earth....we sang in that room about His eye being on the sparrow. We didn't have to sing or play that day, but we did because Jesus is worthy, and because I'm sure it gave grandma joy.
2.  A mother makes sacrifices. Most of them are unseen and unsung for all of life. I remember the late night hum of the typewriter, as you plunked away at your second job. Have I ever said, "Thank you?"  Thank you for continuing to work when the day should have been done. Thank you for countless hours of tireless work, with very little of the deserved thanksgiving. Thank you for clothes and paper and everything I needed. Thank you for making me write Bible verses in elementary school when I didn't do the right thing. I still use that trick.😉
  I never had any clue how difficult it would be to be a mom. That right there, is proof that you did it so well. You didn't spend time complaining about how hard it was. You just did it, most of the time without any recognition.  I didn't know how hard it was, because you never told me. You were content to do all that work, and never complain.
3.  Difficult circumstances do not thwart God's plans or keep us from His purposes.  You have faced some really, really heavy and difficult things in your life. I know we joke about you, being the spoiled only child. And maybe you were. But that was only for the first 17 years. The next years were hard, and painful, and not at all what you expected. You never let the pain keep you from the God who had great plans for you. You never let the "what if's" keep you from now, what is.
   And because of that, I'm here! :-) I know it didn't go how you thought it would go.  But I just want you to know, that you have been part of changing the world, by the way you love me and my six children. From Emma, all the way through the boys and down to Evelyn, they all know that grandma loves them.
They are better because they are loved. Thank you for loving them.
There are so many more things that you have taught me. But it's late and in the middle of the night, and perhaps, even more important than all that I learned from you.... Tonight, I want to thank you for how you've loved me. This is maybe the most important thing I learned from you anyway.  Mom. You have loved me extravagantly. It is because of how you have sacrificed and loved me, that I have known and been sure of the love the Father has for me.  And every place where your love has not been perfect, has been covered over by the Savior that I desperately needed, the One that you made sure I knew of.
     And in the end, this is what I hope my kids get from me.....extravagant love that points them to an exceptional Savior.  I pray that I would work so hard, and with such joy (not complaining!), that my kids never have a clue how hard it is. 
     Thank you, mom, for loving me. Thank you for working so hard. Thank you for being my mom.
Happy Mother's Day. 
I love you,
Lisa (your favorite daughter)


No comments: