Thursday, March 20, 2014

Taking God at His Word-book review

I was so very honored to receive an advance copy of Kevin DeYoung's new book for review, entitled Taking God at His Word.  It was refreshing, to say the least, to read a book with such a high and lofty view of God's Holy, written Word.  DeYoung describes the purpose of his book:

     "“The goal of this book is to get us believing what we should about the Bible, feeling what we should about the Bible, and to get us doing what we ought to do with the Bible”

(Excerpt From: DeYoung, Kevin. “Taking God at His Word: Advance Reader Copy.” Crossway. iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.)

   I love this goal, and I do think DeYoung accomplishes what he set out to do.  In an easy-to-read, down-to-earth format overall, the author takes us through the doctrines of the Scripture, as laid out in...you guessed it! Scripture!  Everyone can benefit from a higher and grander view of God's Holy Word.   We have an invaluable gift, and this book serves to remind us of the true purpose and treasure, and in fact, our absolute NEED for the Word of God in every aspect of life.  In DeYoung's own words:

     “No one makes it far in the school of holiness without hours and days and years in the word. You and I simply will not mature as quickly, minister as effectively, or live as gloriously without immersing ourselves in the Scriptures.
We need the Bible if we are to be competent Christians. The Bible will build us up so that we can endure suffering. It will give us discernment for difficult choices. It will make us strong enough to be patient with others and patient enough to respond with kindness when others hurt us.”

(Excerpt From: DeYoung, Kevin. “Taking God at His Word: Advance Reader Copy.” Crossway. iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.)

     For me personally, I found difficulty in the approach that says God only speaks to us through His Word. Period. There was no discussion of Jesus' words when he told his disciples, "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you." (John 16:7).  I agree wholeheartedly that God's Word is the final authority on all things! But, God reveals Himself to man.  That is who He is, it is His character. The fullness of His deity is shown in Christ.  And yet, Christ said it was better for Him to go, that He would send us the Holy Spirit.  This does not diminish my view of the Scripture, but it elevates it!!! I cannot rightly discern the leading of the Holy Spirit without rightly dividing the Word of Truth.  In our family devotions, the question was asked, "Why is it so important to read God's Word?" And my answer, among many other things, was that without knowing God's Word, I cannot rightly recognize His voice in any other ways He may choose to speak to me.  When I feel the Spirit say, "Go here." Or "Do this."  I must know God's Word, because it IS the final authority on all things.

   That being said, I think every Christian can benefit from the high view of the Scriptures as expressed and rightly defended here in this book.  

1 comment:

Provl8dy said...

I think you have a potential additional calling as a book reviewer. Excellent and honest review. I am intrigued. Thanks.